Maintaining a strong long distance relationship is a lot like maintaining a strong friendship—consistent communication is key. It’s easy to slip into bad habits and find yourself firing off mundane text messages day after day. But we both know that lifeless communication is a sure fire recipe for relationship doom. So, what’s the secret to how to communicate better with your long distance boyfriend to keep the conversation flowing and your relationship in tact?
1. Make Him A Priority
- Think of me kissing you all over…sweet dreams
- Waking up without you is the hardest part of the day…let’s video chat later. I miss you.
2. Let Him Know He’s Missed
Even though it sounds self-evident, don’t forget to let your boyfriend know that you miss him. Being forced to apart can put a strain on your relationship, and it’s important for him to know that he’s in your thoughts, even when you can’t physically be together. So, you’re probably wondering what are some concrete examples on how to communicate better with your long distance boyfriend…For starters, send him texts like these:
- I’m lying in bed missing you. I can’t wait to have you back in my arms!
- I wish you were here so we could cuddle and watch some Netflix!
- I can’t wait to touch you, smell you…attack you. I miss you so much
3. Keep It Moving Forward
When you’re physically together, you might go to the movies, try a new restaurant, or take an spontaneous road trip. Now that you’re living apart, you’re going to have to get creative! What are some creative ideas for how to communicate better with your long distance boyfriend?
- Plan FaceTime dates and work out together as you chit chat about common interests!
- Make him part of your personal goals and projects, such as redoing your kitchen or learning a new language.
- Try new recipes together
- Download an interesting app that can help you both, such as meditation or gratitude
And of course, make fun plans for what you’re going to do when you can finally see each other again—even if you’re not sure exactly when that day will be, it gives you both something to look forward to!
Nobody said a long-distance relationship was easy. But you can do it, with the right mindset and the right habits you can build your relationship during your time apart. So, try to keep negative talk in check, and use these tips on how to communicate better with your long distance boyfriend to let your guy know that you appreciate him and are excited for your future together!
Recommended for you
Speak Your Mind!
If you’d like a picture to show up by your name, get a Gravatar.